Hartland Business Improvement District Exterior Sign and Awning Program
1. PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The Hartland Business Improvement District (B.I.D.) is offering up to $750 matching grants for new signs and awnings.
2. PROGRAM PURPOSE
The B.I.D. seeks to improve the image of the Village of Hartland by encouraging sign and awning improvements to commercial
buildings located in the B.I.D. area. As an economic incentive, the B.I.D. has developed a grant program for new signs and awnings
installed on commercial buildings in the Hartland Business Improvement District.
3. PROJECT AREA
The Village of Hartland, Wisconsin Business Improvement District boundary.
4. GRANT AMOUNT
Matching grant up to $750 for cost of signs and/or awnings with printed signage advertising the business name, address, and/or logo.
• Sign – projecting sign, window sign and hanging sign. Internally lit signs with push through lettering, applied lettering with LED
back lights, channel lettering, or corporate identity signs will be considered. Sandwich board signs, electronic box, back or front lit
channel letter or illuminated wall signs are not eligible.
• Awning – entryway or over window awning used for printed advertising made of various awning materials: canvas, metal,
or vinyl. Illuminated vacuum formed panel awnings are not eligible.
6. GUIDELINES for SIGNS and AWNINGS
1. Front lit signage is encouraged. The goal is to deter back lit or internally lit box signs.
2. All awnings and signs are required to be professionally produced and installed.
3. All signs or awnings must comply with the Village of Hartland sign ordinance. Applicant must obtain approval from the Village
of Hartland Architectural Review Board.
4. A building permit must be obtained and the cost for the permit may be included in the contractor’s bid.
5. Signs consisting of carved or raised letters or painted signs may be considered if lit from the front or above.
6. Exterior signs may have a phone number or a website address, but not both. Lettering size of phone number or website not to
exceed 50% of the business name letter size. Window decals can have both listed.
7. Awnings must be lit from front or above. Awnings may have interior light shining on doors and street if the awning is opaque
and the light does not shine through. They must remain within the proper scale of the building and not obscure architectural
features. Contrasting letters painted or sewn on the fascia only.
8. Rear entrance, alleyway, decorative canopies and awnings, auxiliary signs may be considered part of the program.
9. Repair or improvement to existing sign or awning may be considered at the discretion of the B.I.D.
10. Lighting costs are considered eligible if used to light sign at the front.
11. Labor, construction, and installation are eligible expenses.
12. Building directory signs can have a panel that provides phone number for lease information.
7. NON-ELIBIGLE ACTIVITES
1. Exclusively residential and non commercial properties.
2. Property in litigation, mediation, condemnation, or receivership.
3. Property with outstanding code violation orders.
4. Property with any special assessments, delinquent real estate taxes, or delinquent personal property taxes.
5. Work completed before an application is submitted is not eligible.
6. Signs that depict “for lease” or “for sale” information.
7. Roof top, off premise, or interior store signs.
8. APPROVAL PROCESS
1. The B.I.D. Design Committee will meet to review the application and the applicant is highly encouraged to attend the meeting
when scheduled. If approved, the application is forwarded to the B.I.D. Board of Director’s for a final decision.
2. A written approval or denial letter will be issued to the applicant within 14 days of B.I.D Board of Director’s decision. A copy of
the letter will also be sent to the Village of Hartland Building Inspection Department.
3. Owner/applicant must contact the Village of Hartland regarding regulations and permits that are required for signs or awnings.
A permit is required for signs and awnings and Village approval must be obtained prior to the start of any work.
4. Contact the Village of Hartland, Building Inspector, 210 Cottonwood Avenue, Hartland, WI 53029 or phone 262-367-2714 for
permit information. Failure to comply with the Village permit process may result in the denial of B.I.D. grant funds.
5. Owner/applicant must also obtain approval from the Village of Hartland Architectural Review Board.
6. Upon obtaining all approvals, the owner/applicant and the Hartland B.I.D. execute an agreement in which the owner/applicant
agrees to complete the project within one year from the approval date. In return, the Hartland B.I.D. agrees to reimburse the
owner/applicant for up to 50% of the cost of the project, up to $750 upon completion of the pre-approved, applicant-paid work.
7. Upon approval, the applicant has 90 days to initiate the work, unless an extension is approved in writing.
8. As necessary, confer with B.I.D. staff during course of work to ensure project’s compliance as originally submitted.
9. Notify the Village of Hartland Building Inspector upon completion to schedule a final inspection.
10. Notify B.I.D. upon completion of project to schedule an inspection by the B.I.D. representatives for compliance to the program.
11. Submit paid receipts for the completed project to the B.I.D. office along with a copy of the finalized building permit.
12. The applicant must agree to complete, sign, and submit a W-9 in order for disbursement of grant funds.
13. The awarded grant will be reimbursed with a check made payable to the applicant after all the work is done, the invoices have
been paid in full by the applicant, and the inspections are complete.
1. Funding is limited and the amount awarded for a project is on a first-come, first-served basis.
2. Owners, tenants, or owner/tenant joint ventures may submit application.
3. Applicant must comply with the program standards.
4. A completed application must be submitted to determine eligibility for the program. Applicant may apply more than once at the
same address as long as the applicant does not exceed the maximum sign grant of $750 during a three-year time frame.
5. Grants will only be provided for projects that conform to all Village of Hartland, WI zoning, permitting, and licensing
requirements, along with any necessary Village approvals.
6. A property owner with three or more tenants must submit a building sign plan to be eligible for a grant.
7. The B.I.D. Design Committee must give approval for any changes and will be signed, dated, and attached to the original
8. Any alterations or deviations to the project will result in denial of grant funds.
9. Applicants are highly encouraged to attend the Design Committee meeting to review the project.
10. The application may be denied if the existing condition of the building requires significant repairs or restoration.
11. Approved work must be completed within 90 days from the date the approval letter is signed.
12. Extensions must be requested in writing and may be denied.
13. No applicant has the proprietary right to receive grant funds.
10. APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Complete the application to initiate the process and submit to the B.I.D. Director.
2. Staff will review the application and meet with the owner/applicant to discuss the project.
3. Applicant obtains a minimum of two written proposals from qualified contractors to complete the project. Contractor
proposals or bids must be current and dated no earlier than 60 days prior to the application.
4. Applicant submits the following:
a. Rendering or sketch with dimensions showing placement of sign and/or awning on building, and mounting height,
and clearance from sidewalk to bottom of sign and/or awning.
b. Overall dimensions of sign/and or awning, color of background, size of letters in inches, color of letters,
construction materials of sign/and or awning.
c. Wording to appear on all signage.
d. Colors and material type specifications with samples, when applicable.
e. Two or more photographs of the existing building, all sides.
f. Total project cost estimate, including installation and permit fee.
g. Dimensioned site plan required for ground installed signs, not required for wall signs.
h. Lighting details to include type, location, number, and wattage of fixtures, when applicable.
5. Return completed application with all the required information and two proposals to: Hartland B.I.D., 135 Cottonwood Ave.,
Hartland, Wisconsin 53029.
6. B.I.D. staff will determine if the application is complete for the B.I.D. Design Committee approval meeting.
7. The B.I.D. Design Committee meets the first Friday of each month, or when scheduled, and the applicant’s presence at the
Design Committee meeting is highly encouraged to help expedite the application review process.
8. Tenant applicants must have property owner approval.
9. A permit is required for all signs and awnings and Village approval must be obtained prior installation. Contact the
Village of Hartland at 262-367-2714 or pick up an application at Village Hall, 210 Cottonwood Avenue, Hartland, WI, 53029.