7 Reasons You Should Fall in Love with Buying Local
This month’s Guest Contributor is Elise Miller, owner Lake Country Bed Barn
We have heard countless times in the news that small businesses are the backbone of our economy! Well it is true! Your local, small businesses provide so much more to your local economy than any big box store. As a small business owner, I am of course biased, but since becoming involved in community through our business, Lake Country Bed Barn, it is evident the amazing resources and assets small businesses are in our community!
Here are 7 Reasons You Should Fall in Love with Buying Local (and if you already love buying local, THANK YOU!)
- Small businesses positively impact the local economy. When you spend $100 at a local business it is estimated that $68 of those dollars goes back to the local economy, where approximately only $48 goes back from the big box stores.
- Customer service is more personalized, hands-on and noteworthy from smaller businesses. You should expect customer service to be exponentially better from a small business. We are passionate about what we do and want to take the time to get to know our customers to ensure that you have an excellent experience and get exactly what you asked for and more!
- The negative environmental impact is larger with big chain stores. They often choose imported products which use more fuel resources to get the product into their business. Being local businesses, we often choose local vendors because it reduces our costs and we like to keep things as local as possible. Example: Our mattress vendor is in Watertown, Wisconsin and adjustable base vendor is in Illinois.
- Personal connections with owners. When you work with local businesses you often are talking to the owner. As the owner, we will listen to what our customers want and because we are the decision makers for the business we can quickly adapt our offerings to fit the needs of our customers.
- Local businesses are true experts. “Local shop owners have to be experts in their field to compete. Use them—ask them questions and get advice about products.” We live and breathe our business!
- Support for nonprofits and community. Small businesses support local nonprofits 250% more than large businesses. Many of the local business owners in Downtown Hartland volunteer their time, services and products with the Rotary Club, Lions Club, Kiwanis, Hartland Chamber of Commerce, Business Improvement District, local politicians, local schools and many more.
- Discover new and interesting things. Part of what makes Downtown Hartland unique and interesting is when you find those one-of-a-kind shops, restaurants, and service providers that you would not be able to find anywhere else.
We hope that you will continue to fall in love with local while you Dine, Shop and Connect in Downtown Hartland. Downtown Hartland provides events throughout the year that allow you to discover and reconnect with downtown businesses. We are excited to continue to share with you all the great local businesses right here in the Hart of Lake Country!
Read more about “Why We Love Local and You Should Too” from Elise Miller, owner of Lake Country Bed Barn.